Monday, October 17, 2016

The Perfect Word

I am a writer.

I'm not a very good one, but I am a writer. And as a writer, something that intrigues me is the fact that some of the concepts in journalism are so essential to fiction, yet those concepts are often overlooked.
Most importantly, the idea of using specific words in the perfect arrangement.

The most valuable of all talents is that of
never using two words when
one will do. -Thomas Jefferson

I've heard this quote before and I've seen examples of the concept in fiction (a series that is highly praised for its use of this exact idea is Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle) but it never truly struck me how important it is for a storyteller to do this.

Of course, importance usually makes it harder. In fact, it is often painfully hard to write prettily (not necessarily concisely).

I have made this letter longer than usual,
only because I have not had the time
to make it shorter -Blaise Pascal


It takes way more effort to choose specific words than to just let everything flow out.

I'm a spewer. I just type what's on my mind. It's much harder for me to choose which words capture what I want to say in a more precise manner.

This is essential to a journalist so that they don't risk offending people and losing their position. It's also important to (at least in theory) use specific language to keep from showing specific bias.

It's also essential to a writer. Words convey emotion, whether anybody realizes that or not. When setting a scene, brilliant blue describes a completely different emotion from soft blue.

Words are important and it matters which ones you use.

Choose the perfect word. Don't settle for less. Your writing will benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment