Monday, October 24, 2016

WARNING: UNSOCIALIZED

Confession time: I'm a homeschool kid and I'm proud to be unsocialized.

I wish I weren't so socially awkward, but I'm proud to be unsocialized.

That being said, I'm not exactly using the conventional, dictionary definition of "socialize" which is what people usually look at to define socialization (get your act together people).

Socialization refers to a psychological/sociological process that teaches, according to dictionary. com,
"the norms, values, behavior, and social skills appropriate to his or her social position"
If you scroll further down the page, the British definition is much more to the point, defining socialization as follows:
"the modification from infancy of an individual's behaviour to conform with the demands of social life"

I don't know about you, but this sounds like socialization means conforming. I want to be my own person and have my own thoughts, thanks very much.

Of course, as a homeschooler, of one of the most common questions we hear is "But what about socialization?"

So what about it? I have no intention to conform to all of society's norms. It's more fun being my own person.

You can have your socialization.

I'll be my own weird person.

No comments:

Post a Comment